October 6, 2009

I survived malaria

It all began abruptly with an excruciating headache...one I've never experienced this intensely before. I waved it off as just a little bug. Then a fever proceeded. I spent a day resting and taking Tylenol. My body ached and a soreness was a constant in my spine/neck. I didn't know officially until I took a second malaria test that the faint though present pink bands on the test did indeed indicate that I had a mixed strand of malaria. Yikes. Malaria? I was pretty shocked...first that I didn't feel more horrible...body and headaches, fever and chills came and went but never debilitated me. How could I have malaria when I am so good about taking the weekly medication? Oh wait...Port Vila...I did forget ONCE and lesson learned...NEVER skip medication.

So, Amy had malaria...just an experience of my Peace Corps service. Good thing Paama is a wonderful place to spel (rest) and recover.

1 comment:

Morgan Lamphere said...

Take care of yourself! Remember that you are caring for a whole lot of people. They depend on you! And your friends back home are counting on you too! Be safe, and I am glad to hear you are OK.