August 14, 2010

The countdown…15 weeks until the end

It’s now 15 weeks until the end of my Peace Corps service and what a journey it’s been. The roller coaster ride of emotion I’ve experienced, from the tears that fell when I first arrived because of my loneliness to what soon will be tears of sadness about leaving this place I’ve called home for two years. In almost every conversation I have with someone here these days, they mention something about my near departure and I always say “Mi no wantem tink abaot, i gat taem yet blong storian.” I don’t want to think about it, there’s still time to story.

I’ve made some amazing relationships here. My host family for one…my wonderful and generous host mama Eva who never asks me for anything and is nurturing and caring to all seven (me included) of her children. I joke with people here about being the oldest of her seven children, but the last born. My host papa Isaiah, the alpha male who encourages my kava drinking (thank goodness because my mama and sisters are SDA), loves to storian about his life.

Then there’s Uncle Hapi age 66 who I often visit on afternoons to storian with. He is incredibly smart, used to run the Co-Op store, chair the RTC committee and has traveled to England. We talk about everything under the Paama sky from politics, religion, family, travel, education or just village news.

The SDA mamas who I spend Sabbath Saturdays at church with, have been a huge support for me these past two years. The Minister’s wife, Lylin especially who is always so appreciative of my presence. I participate with their bible study and will sometimes tell stories to the kids…the boy who cried wolf, little red riding hood or my experiences here and back home in the states. After service, a group picnic under the mango tree with a cool breeze through the Paama hills as our backdrop.


I am trying to appreciate and soak in this place and the people with what time I have remaining. I walk down to the beach everyday and have decided that I’ll do a post about “My last 10 Paama sunsets.” While days often drag, time stops when I am sitting on the beach, the waves lightly crashing, drinking a coconut my little brother opened for me with a bush knife (machete) and gazing at the sky while clouds float overhead, the sun’s rays peeking over the horizon. Not one sunset painting is the same…God’s beautiful canvas. I’m sometimes the only one on the beach which I can’t imagine will happen many other places I will be in the future. So peaceful, so beautiful and along with these amazing people, will be so missed.


No comments: