October 9, 2008

Village Life

Only a short amount of time in the big city today...we only get here every 2 weeks so we can access email so apologies for the rambling...also pics to come.

The 21 of us arrived at Mangelilui which is just an hour drive from Port Vila (where you will fly in to visit me!) on Sunday two weeks ago to chanting and singing young boys dressed in leaves and dancing around us. We were then welcomed by Chief Mor Mor…a stout and jovial man. We all met our host families who we now call mama, papa, sista and bratas (my English spelling as since gone downhill now that we are learning Bismala). I arrived donning an island dress that my mama sent to Villa for me. Not entirely uncomfortable but swallows us whole. Woman are not allowed to wear pants or shorts. If you are seen without a skirt or lavalava on, then a fine is a pig or a mat to the chief. We can play sports and exercise without them at least.

After our welcome, we go with our host family to our custom house…much bigger than I’d expected. It’s basically a small room with thatched coconut leaf roof and the inside is blanketed with island cloth and coral floral with mats on top. Beds have mosquito nets, no electricity for all…only if you have a generator which my family does for the kitchen area from 7p til 10p. It gets dark by 6pm however so mood lighting of candle in my house every night. How romantic all by myself!

My host mama is Larina who is 31 and host papa is Stephen who is 28…even so, I still call them mama and papa. I have two sisters, Shirley (age 7) and Lyndiana (age 11) and brother Jacob (age 5). They are a warm and happy family.

Most of our days are Bislama classes, lectures about the culture, econonomy, school system with speakers and panel discussions. We even had a test last week! We often have class on the beach…not sandy as we all know but of coral. The snorkeling is phenomenal and right in our back yards. Sunsets are inspiring and stars are full force and brighter than I have ever seen them.
Fresh, ripe, off the tree mangoes fall daily and are favorite snacks while chickens and their chicks peck around, pigs and piglets rustle through the leaves for scraps…. Bucket showers and smol haos (out house), I am still not getting used to. I have become even more low maintenance that ever and seldom look into a mirror…probably a good thing! The creepy crawlies have been minimal so far for me but they are there and freaking me out nonetheless. Sleeping at night has been a journey in itself…the odd sounds…chirping geckos (or like a kissing sound), rustling legs, whistleing beats and the wind running laps through the trees. It’s not easy falling asleep and forget going to the smol haos to use the bathroom.

There’s also the threat of creeping…this phenomenon is actually a form of dating in Vanuatu. If a fella wants to “talk” to a gal, then he will scratch or knock on her door late at night so if you open it, you’ve invited a suitor. Best to just ignore it or yell NO! but then responding could mean yes?! Either way this is freaking the Peace Corps girls out a bit but no worries, Mom and Dad…we are safe since we live so closely to our host families.

We have been fortunate enough to experience a few special events in the village. A marriage, ordination of a chief and sadly, the mourning of the chief’s brother. There’ been visitors often and family gatherings. They have been welcoming and gracious for us.

Today…we had a “culture” exercise where we were split into four groups. Group 1 made fire, Group 2 opened coconuts to make coconut milk, Group 3 made simboro (manioc grated and then wrapped in island cabbage.) and Group 4…get this…killed a chicken! Yep, I said (typed) it! I won’t go into details and sorry to the weak of stomach. (I made simboro, by the way.)

Gosh...there is still so much more to say and that I am forgetting. Some days are great and some days are kinda depressing...but isn't that how life is? I hear some things are looking bleak in the US so part of me is glad to be away from the chaos. I am yearning to call, at least text y'all...

Week two is about over and we have eight more in the training village. Week five or six, we are going to visit the village in where we will be living for the next two years and we are anxious to know where we will each be. Of the 21 who started, 19 still stand and are holding strong. We’re bonded as a group and created “talk it out Tuesday” so that we can vent to each other and prevent anyone else from leaving. I’ve vented about the bugs, missing home and awaiting letters from home! ;) This is not going to be easy...

We will be sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers officially November 28 and head to our village early December. Am I really doing this??? Missing you all on the northern hemisphere!

volunteer@vu.peacecorps.gov (subject line: AMY) They will print and bring to the training village.

Peace Corps Vanuatu
PMB 9097
Port Vila, Vanuatu

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy - so proud of you! Love all that you are writing. What an experience and something that will certainly treasure your whole life. I wanted to make sure that I left you a comment so you know that I am reading this and thinking about you. Take care and looking forward to your next post! Good Luck with killing chickens ;-) ~Sara Elkins

Anonymous said...

Woah you are my hero! when you are feeling down & think you are missing out - remember you aren't, i am. *haha* chance of a lifetime girl & i am gonna live vicariously through you for the next couple of years, k? Tina H in Maryland thinking of you. btw, what did the chicken ever do to you?! and don't answer any doors or push the red button!

Kelly said...

Sounds like you are on quite an adventure! I am sure it is difficult but will be so rewarding. Hang in there and know we are thinking about you.

Kelly

Unknown said...

Amy! we love u and miss u so much! So proud of you! was way's bday and we all talked about u... :) Iknow since u haven't figured where ur village is yet it may be hard to figure out how I can help at a clinic there or something in Jan. maybe that medical officer would know something? kinda need to know soon. Luv ya sindhu