March 26, 2010

Embrace NOW

Just finished reading The Power of Now by E. Tolle and so much of what I took from this book has made me realize that I must embrace what is happening this very moment…that the “noise” we so often listen to in our heads can be way too cumbersome to our psyche. Instead of thinking about the past…wishing to get a moment back or wanting to erase a bad memory… it’s all putting too much pressure on us and preventing happiness, contentment, enlightenment so to speak. Likewise thinking about the future (which I am very much guilty of doing)…the indulgences of Port Vila to come in 34 days or the next chapter of my life after Peace Corps also prevent me from truly enjoying this time here. I have plenty of time to think, reminisce and pine but instead I need to be present and to not think so much and to push out the noise.

And interestingly enough, the Ni Vanuatu may have it all figured out. Like I’ve mentioned before, they lead a simple life on the islands…they go to the gardens every few days in order to feed themselves or make a mat for an upcoming event but otherwise, there’s less noise. Daily, you find the people here are sitting around, chatting and enjoying nature. There’s no hurry here…when I say “island time”…it truly explains what life on the islands is about.

When I do get to go to the capital, Port Vila, I am always busy, getting work done, meeting up with friends and attending various social events. While on the islands, my days are rarely filled with busy work. RTC class, a meeting (starting hours later, if at all) or event (again, starting hours later) on the islands happen weekly and the rest of the time is spent gardening, preparing food, eating, enjoying nature with family and friends and oftentimes waiting. As for me, reading of course, watching Heroes and movies (thanks, Ivan!) and various other projects help to fill my time and as the sun is setting, I make visits to households to storian with my village, eat and in bed by 9pm. And that’s island life…one that I am learning daily to embrace and enjoy.

No comments: