November 8, 2010

Extremes

This Peace Corps journey has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions and experiences. I often tell people who ask about my time here that the highs are really high and the lows and super low…which is what I think can make this experience so difficult but yet so rewarding. In my life back stateside there was less extremes for me. Days and weeks were generally similar or did not range much. You always have your good and bad days.

For me here, I’ve been over the moon after completing a youth camp or workshop but then have been depressed and sad because I just wanted to see my family or hug my friend who just found out she’s pregnant. One day I’ll feel so much love and appreciation when I storian with my village people. And then some days the boredom, solitude, bugs and heat drive me mad.

Then there are the two extremes of lifestyles I’ve experienced…from this primitive and simple life on Paama without electricity and cooking over fire to the expat life in Port Vila. Dating Ivan (Mr. Nambawan) has been a fun and beautiful time from the Kiwanis black tie ball and races to amazing days on Kakula island. Meeting wonderful friends, Fabi and Andy, Morgane and Kristel, Olivia, Patience and many more I should mention…good times wining and dining. Think gourmet dinners, boat rides and champagne.

From miserable, suffocating heat to refreshing, cool rain…the annoying mosquitos and the adorable chicks…from missing loved ones to receiving packages and letters… love, heartache and saying goodbye. It’s all about experiencing life and every emotion it has to offer. You have to see the dark in order to see and appreciate the beautiful light.

No comments: