December 3, 2008

My last day in Port Vila

There is so much I want to tell y'all but time in the city is limited so it will come later.

Today is my last full day in the city...6 other volunteers have left and it was sad to see them leave. We will all see each other again in March for ESC (Early service conference). Our group has bonded and everyone is so vastly different in personality but the path we have chosen connects us. This can easily be said for my NC friends and Chi-town crew...and I wish so much that y'all could be here...or that I can beam myself to y'all for a hug right now.

I'm excited but terrified about life in Tahi, Paama. Will I fully integrate? Will my Rural Training Center succeed? Will my physical limits be stretched to a breaking point? Will I miss home too much? The language is actually so easy (which is a blessing) but it's hard to express yourself fully. One word can have a multitude of meanings so there are few adjectives to describe things.

I am getting a solar power panel so I will get some power in my house...just one lightbulb and my laptop. I'm hoping to find a fan today. SUMMER is definitely here and it's so odd. Christmas music and summer just don't fit. I heard Chi-town had a downpouring of snow and I can just imagine being all bundled up with hat, scarf, gloves, coat drudging to work in the blistering cold but beautiful snow. I never would have thought I would miss that...but I do so much.

I will post my satellite phone # and email address in the right margin...I can receive texts and calls. And this will save my sanity. I will of course appreciate snail mail so if you would like to write my address is also in the margin.

Amy Chan
Peace Corps Volunteer
Liro, Paama
Republic of Vanuatu
Phone: 00816-4148-7746
email to come

Missing home...

1 comment:

Jennie Lobato said...

I can't believe I fell behind on your blog!! I will catch up soon...I will live vicariously through you!!

I can ONLY imagine the 'separation' that you're feeling. yeah, yeah, you know you're there 'cause you WANT to be there and serve others and all that jazz, but that doesn't stop making you feel alone in this BRAND new place, etc. etc...that's EXACTLY how i felt when i landed in Costa Rica last year and had to live there for 3 weeks by myself. it's tough..but of course, as you know, you'll love it before you can even blink! I could only dream of being there with you and accompanying you day by day.

Like i said, i haven't read much of your blog since you embarked on your journey but i will soon.

keep your head up, you're saving the world!! just remember that :)

love,
Jeenie