December 1, 2008

The Prophecy of TAZ

Okay...so Lindsay (gal from Chi) and Mariel have given me the name Taz. How fitting some of you are thinking now. Bouncing off the walls, hyper and happy. As you may know now, I am in Port Vila for the weekend and enjoying "city life". Have gotten to know some other Peace Corps Volunteers. Oh, I still need to upload my entries about our swearing in ceremony and that we are officially Peace Corps Volunteers now and not just trainees. Hip hip hooray!!! (Our trainer actually let that chant) So, life is great right now with showers (hot and cold), toilets, ice cream, A/C, cold drinks and English speakers. Fantastic. Even going to get sushi tonight. 2 more days of luxury...then off to Tahi, Paama.

Took our 21B group to eat chinese food and we had a feast...family style of course with the lazy susan...there were 13 of us and I was soaking up all the chinese I got to talk with the owner and her family...made me miss my family and my dad's food! What I would do for that right now.

Spent the past few days shopping for stuff...house stuff and there's no Target or Walmart to buy everything but there are Chinese shops that have pretty decent stuff. I'm looking forward to getting my house set up...so nesting will do me good when I get to Tahi and the entire country of Vanuatu is on holiday until end of January practically. Truia! (that's an affirmation in Bislama) So, since it is summer here on the southern hemisphere, we have hot, sunny holidays...a far cry from the blistering cold of Chicago. Because of this heat and the holidays...Ni Vans do not do alot of work during Dec and Jan. It's spel (rest) time in Vanuatu...so no matter how bad the mosquitoes and heat are, I know I should appreciate the "vacation" time. Remind me of that when I have my second breakdown :)

I will write more later and appreciate your emails...if I don't write back, try me again just in case I didn't receive it. Use amyhchan@gmail.com until Dec 5 and volunteer@vu.peacecorps.gov (sub: AMY) after Dec 5.

No comments: