November 17, 2008

The Journey

There have been current volunteers in the training village and they have been wonderful... technical training for teacher trainers, IT and RTC (Rural Training Centers, that’s me) There are three girls who have also taught us book making, sewing, cooking and other creative activities…it has been such a release and so refreshing. Therapy. It will help me get through the next two years.

Janey, one of the trainers has been a blessing. She’s in her 30’s, from ATL, yoga instructor and we have similar paths. We’ve been doing yoga and talking about the “spiritual journey” that Peace Corps can be. I’m sorry if this is cheesy for some of you to read but I’ve come to realize that not only am I here to help the Rural Training Center and my new community but I am here for me…to find my inner self, to absorb, think, read, write, meditate, pray and create. What I do each day is my choice instead of being dictated by my Outlook calendar. I must embrace it. This won’t be easy and of course my physical wimpy-ness may be my downfall!

And then there is Dominique who has shown us an amazing side of Vanuatu...the bountiful and enormous Pacific Ocean is her playground. We snorkel and she points out all the sea -life...starfish, huge clams, sea turtle and even sharks. AND kava. She is the co-chair of the kava guild and gave us the official intro to the kava world. Thank you, Dom.

Mark my words, despite breakdowns, I will get through these two years. There, I said it. I have to say that getting emails from you all are so wonderful…my sanity is revived and my mental stability balanced. Thank you.

We are sworn in officially as Peace Corps Volunteers on Thanksgiving, then a few days in Port Vila to buy things for our site, enjoy the city, take showers, use the internet and eat ICE CREAM! I believe I leave for Tahi, Paama on December 2 and the two years will finally begin…ready or not.

2 comments:

jack said...

Amy! Thanks for the kind words to us trainers! You are all doing really great! I am sure you will make your service a good experience.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amy that's amazing! I had to look Vanuatu and Tahi Paama up. In my mind you are on the edge of the earth. I greatly admire your courage, vision and good will. I hope you find what you are looking for. You are a great friend to so many people.