November 17, 2008

OHBAMA!!!!!

Read Obama’s victory speech at Grant Park…to think it was just blocks away from my office downtown! One part made me cry...Not only did he speak to me as a proud American but he says…“And to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores…to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world – our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand.” The moment that I heard Obama won was in Tahi, Paama…drinking a shell of kava with my host papa and my counterpart walks over with a static-y radio tuned to Air Vanuatu. It was night, there were no lights, just the stars and crescent moon above looking down at my story. It was surreal.

I have loved the emails I’ve received about your elections experiences. Both Timeri and Rob out there bringing in the votes! So proud of you for your commitment! I drink a shell to you!

1 comment:

Sean François said...

Amy, I thought I had shared this with you, but maybe not...I was texting Tara, Reggie, Kenny, and Anish during that night...I'll NEVER forget it.

Obama was definitely speaking to you...I can totally visualize everything you said in your post...on a far away island, listening to the 'in and out' radio signal...

So here goes, this was the note I posted on Facebook:

"So...my friend Signa asked me the other day how sad I was NOT to be at Grant Park in Chicago this past Tuesday night.

For those of you who may not know, I was living in Chicago up until last Fall and have since moved back home to Halifax, Nova Scotia for family reasons.

But I digress, Signa knew how I felt - I was definitely envious of those people I was seeing on TV during the CNN, WGN, NBC, and CBC telecasts we watched that evening. During the 'Election Party' I hosted with 9 other friends and family in attendance I just shook my head knowing I was missing a once in a lifetime event. But, at the same time I was enjoying that event with close friends and family - which created our own memories for that night.

I texted several friends after President-Elect Obama's (and the WORLD's) historic evening. Specifically - Tara, Reggie, and Kenny were all walking home from Grant Park after witnessing a night for the ages. I could feel the excitement through the text messages we sent back and forth - they had just witnessed history in the ultimate way.

It has taken me a few days to get my thoughts together to try and describe what that night meant to me, and what President-Elect Obama's accomplishment means to me.

But I think I finally did it:

http://sportscandor.blogspot.com/2008/11/night-to-remember.html "